This immersion course at introductory level uses Te Reo Māori as the medium for professional contexts and delivery, and enables students to develop and extend their knowledge of and ability to use Te Reo Māori.
About this paper
|Paper title||Te Whiringa o Te Reo|
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2022 (Distance learning)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees ( NZD )||$887.55|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- EDUO 104, EDUO 107, EDUO 108
- Compulsory for Te Pokai Matauranga o te Ao Rua (Primary Bicultural Education) students for BTchg, BEdSt who commenced the programme prior to 2016.
- Enrolments for this paper are limited and it requires departmental permission. View more information about limitations of enrolment.
- Teaching staff
To be confirmed
- Paper Structure
- Pronunciation and vocabulary
- Language constructs related to various contexts
- Intonation and fluidity of language
- Karakia and waiata
- Comprehension and response to oral Māori delivery
- Original production of language in constructed and spontaneous situations
- Teaching Arrangements
- This paper is only offered on the Southland campus of the University of Otago.
Ryan, P. M. (2005) Dictionary of Modern Māori. Auckland, New Zealand: Heinemann Education.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Communication, Cultural understanding, Information literacy, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Using a Māori immersion delivery mode, students will be able to:
- Develop their receptive skills and understanding of te reo Māori in the oral medium
- Communicate in te reo Māori in oral situations with accuracy and fluency
- Develop competence in written te reo Māori appropriate to support their oral delivery
In order to ensure that our Bicultural programme meets the competencies outlined in the Tātai Reo framework, we have identified which learning outcomes can support these competencies:
- Kia Māori te Reo - learning outcomes 2, 3
- Kia Ora te Reo - learning outcomes 2, 3
- Kia Tika te Reo - learning outcomes 2, 3
- Kia Rere te Reo - learning outcomes 2, 3