Preparation of a thesis proposal. Normally taken by students in the papers year for a Master’s degree in Geography by papers and thesis.
About this paper
|Master's Thesis Preparation
1st Non standard period (1 January 2024 - 19 June 2024) (On campus)
|Domestic Tuition Fees ( NZD )
|International Tuition Fees
|Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.
- Limited to
- MA, MSc
- Enrolments for this paper require departmental permission. View more information about departmental permission.
- More information link
- View more information about GEOG 495
- Teaching staff
Supervisor: Each student will be supervised by a member of staff most relevant to the proposed area of research.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paper Structure
Guided by a supervisor, students will prepare a theoretical/literature review pertinent to their chosen topic, a review and critique of potential research strategies/approaches relevant to their topic, and a thesis proposal. They will also present two seminars on their research topic during the year. The written assignments and the presentations all contribute to the mark for the paper.
- Teaching Arrangements
Postgraduate seminars run by the School of Geography are relevant to the research process and are designed with GEOG 495 students in mind. Your attendance at these seminars is compulsory.
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Critical thinking, Ethics, Environmental literacy, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this paper will have learned the skills that they need to complete the second research-focused year of the programme.