Provides basic knowledge in haematology and immunohaematology and comprises the study of the cellular components of blood, their functions, the haemostatic processes and outlines disease processes affecting them.
A study of haematology and transfusion medicine in health and disease.
Includes modules on red cells, haemostasis, malignant haematology and transfusion science, with practical laboratory and cell morphology sessions.
About this paper
|Haematology and Transfusion Science
|Medical Laboratory Science
|Semester 2 (On campus)
|Domestic Tuition Fees ( NZD )
|International Tuition Fees
|Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.
- Limited to
- Teaching staff
Course Convenors: Cat Ronayne and Holly Perry
- Paper Structure
- Each week begins with a lecture to introduce key concepts, followed by case-based tutorials. The practical component includes weekly laboratory sessions and morphology tutorials. The week concludes with case presentations and discussion.
- Teaching Arrangements
Lectures, tutorials, laboratory and morphology sessions.
Hoffbrand’s Essential Haematology, 8e (7e and 6e are also suitable; Note 6e is available as an eBook via the University library) ISBN: 978-1-119-49590-1
Harmening, D. Modern Blood Banking and Transfusion Practices. 7e. ISBN-13. 978-0803668881
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Ethics, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this paper will:
- Gain an understanding of the pathophysiology of haematological disorders and issues in transfusion science
- Have the ability to perform and interpret basic haematology and transfusion science test methods in preparation for fourth-year clinical placement
- Have the ability to interpret data from interdisciplinary topics for application in the diagnostic haematology and transfusion science laboratory
- Develop an understanding of professionalism and ethical practice and skills in scientific communication