Planning, set up, execution, management, analysis and reporting of hydrographic surveys, including field work and voyage components.
Dates are tentative; students must contact the School of Surveying for the exact dates after 1 July 2024.
About this paper
|Hydrographic Field Design and Voyage
|Not offered in 2024 (On campus)
|Domestic Tuition Fees ( NZD )
|International Tuition Fees
|Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.
- Pre or Corequisite
- SURV 452 and PMAN 401
- SURV 462
- Schedule C
This paper is an introduction to the application of hydrographic surveying theory and is the first of two major practical components of this subject.
- Teaching staff
- Co-ordinator and Lecturer: Emily Tidey
- Paper Structure
- Field course covering practical portions of the IHO S-5 syllabus.
- Teaching Arrangements
Intensive field course for three weeks in November/December.
E-learning utilised before and after the field course.
- IHO S-44 - Standards for Hydrographic Surveys
- LINZ HYSPEC - Contract Specifications for Hydrographic Surveys
- MNZ - Good Practice Guidelines for Hydrographic Surveys in New Zealand Ports and Harbours
- IHO Manual of Hydrography
All available to download online.
Other texts are available in the Science and School of Surveying Libraries and online.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Information literacy, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the paper will:
- Prepare for a hydrographic survey by completing pre-analysis and planning tasks (including formulating a rigorous quality control strategy)
- Observe tide and current dynamics and to be introduced to advanced tidal and current studies
- Establish horizontal and vertical control for a hydrographic survey to IHO standards
- Conduct a complete 3-week hydrographic survey involving all associated management tasks to IHO and LINZ standards
- Consolidate navigation and seamanship skills
- Prepare a comprehensive report of survey based on pre-planning assignment, project management exercises and the hydrographic survey to IHO requirements