The department has very strong international links and consequently hosts many academic visitors from overseas each year. In addition to casual visits, The Ron Lister fellowship is available each year and enables us to bring in an outstanding scholar for up to three months, by the generous Ron Lister bequest to the department. This section gives the details of some recent visitors to the department.
2017 Ron Lister Fellow
Dr Wen Zeng
Urban Geography and Social Geography
I joined Shandong University of Science and Technology in China as a lecturer in Geography since 2015. Before that I finished my PhD in Human Geography in Nanjing Normal University from 2012 to 2015. My research interests are focused on quality of urban life in the context of China, which is carried out in two spatial scales. On the one hand, I researched the life quality of different cities on the regional scale to seek out the relationship between quality of life and local economic development. On the other hand, the quality of life on the city scale is studied, which pays more attention to the community life quality and the accessibility of facilities within urban areas. Some of my work is related to social equalities resulted from uneven distribution of urban resources. I have also participated and directed projects related to local development and quality of life. I really appreciate the Department of Geography, Otago and the donor who have given me the chance to exchange ideas here.
Geographical Society of China (GSC)
- The evaluation and optimization of urban life quality on multi-scale level—A Case Study of Qingdao. (Natural Science Foundation of Shandong Province, directed)
- Research in urban life space on different levels—A Case Study of Qingdao. (Scientific Research Foundation of Shandong University of Science and Technology for Recruited Talents, Project No. 2016RCJJ003, directed)
- The evaluation and optimization of urban life quality in Qingdao under the background of new-type urbanization in China (Social Science Planning Project of Qingdao, Project No. QDSKL1601120, directed).
- Process and mechanism of coupling development between population urbanization and land urbanization: a case study of Jiangsu Province. (Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC), Project No.41371172, participated)
- Based on the Actor-network theory of rural living space transformation and effect research- A Case Study of Southern Jiangsu Province. (NSFC, Project No. 41501187, participated)
- Rural Settlement Space in Developed Areas: Transition and Restriction—A Case Study of Southern Jiangsu Province (NSFC, Project No.41071114, participated)