No new enrolments will be accepted into the DipGrad in ICT for 2023.
The 2021 student cohort.
The Otago Business School's Diploma for Graduates (DipGrad) endorsed in Information and Communications Technology allows students with a degree in other areas to acquire the background and fundamental skills in information technology.
It is a pathway to one of the fastest growing areas of employment. It is a combination of classroom/lecture theatre-based learning with real-life, value-adding industry projects, internships, and industry visits.
Graduates are work-ready and gain the opportunity to develop their own personal IT sector network.
The 2021 student cohort come from a range of backgrounds as outlined below:
- BA in International Business
- BSc in Microbiology
- PhD in Food Science
- BA in Philosophy
- BSc in Human Nutrition and Master of Dietetics
- BCom in Finance
- Postgraduate Diploma in Tourism
- BSc in Computer Science
The Diploma is a 1 year industry-focused programme, you will:
- Develop and apply your Information Technology knowledge
- Establish your ICT portfolio
- Gain practical industry experience
- Grow your Industry network to help you move into the IT sector
- Tailor the programme according to your interests, background and desired pathway
Teaching style and methods
Small classes with good student to lecturer ratios. The paper contains a series of industry visits.
Topics will be influenced by the student's existing background and their chosen pathway within the programme.
Students will work in groups for particular topics, supported by their academic advisor and an industry mentor.
A student-led project in collaboration with a host organisation/institution will also be conducted.
There is now an enormous diversity of possible career paths in the ICT sector, many of which do not require the full technical background that a degree in Computer Science or Information Science would provide.
This programme aims to shift the skill sets of its students in a way that makes it possible for them to contribute directly in an ICT-related position, and then continue to develop their skills and abilities.
Who can apply?
- Anyone with a degree and a non-technical background (who are currently working or looking to re-enter the workforce) wishing to move into a technical-focused role
- Recent graduates wanting to enhance their existing qualification with IT skills to improve their employment prospects
- People with an IT background who wish to gain a information technology specialisation and expand their industry network