Last updated May, 2022
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC) was founded in 1793 as the first public state university in the young United States. Since then, it has grown into one of the most renowned teaching and research universities in the country and internationally. It serves the citizens of North Carolina, but also draws students and faculty from around the world.
Chapel Hill is often called the Southern part of heaven for its clear blue skies, Southern hospitality, great climate, and small-town feel (57,000 residents). It is located in the central part of North Carolina known as the Piedmont. North Carolina is one of the fastest growing states in the United States due to expanding real estate, finance, and insurance businesses and a mild climate that offers easy access to diverse geography like beaches and mountains.
- Undergraduate and graduate exchange available.
- Academic Year: August - May (Fall Term: August - December; Winter Term: January - May).
- Minimum course load - 12 credit hours per semester; maximum course load - 16 credit hours per semester.
- Exchange students can take courses in any department within the College of Arts and Sciences, which includes more than 40 academic departments. Enrollment will be subject to availability and will be dependent upon students having met any course prerequisites.
- Exchange students cannot take courses in the professional schools, which include include: Gillings School of Global Public Health, Hussman School of Journalism and Media, School of Social Work, School of Education, School of Government, School of Information & Library Science.
- Psychology, Neuroscience and Economics are in high demand, two courses maximum per semester. UNC may not suit these majors.
- High demand courses, flexibility needed: Computer Science (highly restricted); Exercise & Sports Science; Statistics & Operations Research.
- Students applying to UNC will not be able to take courses at Kenan-Flagler School of Business.
- Commerce students should apply to Kenan-Flagler School of Business.
- MBA students should apply to the MBA Programme, Kenan-Flagler School of Business.
- Courses Available and courses/colleges restricted to Exchange Students
- UNC courses/Departments
- Course Numbering System
- Schedule of classes
- UNC Academic Calendar
- Cost of living
- Accommodation at UNC
- Life at Chapel Hill
- UNC Fact Sheet
- Kenan-Flagler - Otago Fact Sheet
- Kenan-Flagler MBA - Otago Fact Sheet
- Disability Services
- US Visa
- Information on student visas and insurance for students going on exchange
- 2019 S2 BA COMP TVL
- 2016 S2 BCom FINC NH
- 2016 S2 BSc ECON BH
- 2016 S1 BSc CHEM AM
- You may also want to read Kenan-Flagler Exchange Experiences and Kenan-Flagler MBA Exchange Experiences.
For further information about Otago Global Student Exchange, please contact an Exchange Adviser.