Last updated January, 2021
The Ivey Business School at Western University is Canada’s leading provider of real-world, case-based business education. Drawing on extensive research and business experience, Ivey faculty provide the best classroom experience, equipping students, through Case-Method Learning, with the skills and capabilities they need to tackle today's leadership challenges.
Set in the heart of Southwestern Ontario, London is the region’s economic, entertainment and cultural hub. With a population of more than 383,000, London is Canada’s 11th largest city and an ideal environment to work, play and live. Affectionately known as the Forest City, London sports numerous treed areas and public parks. There is an extensive trail system that runs along the Thames River, right onto Western’s campus, for walking, running, biking or inline skating.
- Undergraduate level only.
- Suitable to students at the end of their commerce degree. All exchange students register in 4th year courses at Ivey (4000 level courses).
- Academic Year: September - May (Fall Term: September - December; Winter Term: January - May).
- Minimum course load: 2.0 credits for semester exchange; maximum course load: 2.5 credits for semester exchange.
- Ivey courses are approx. 30 in-class hours each and are worth 0.5 Ivey credits.
- Ivey uses the case method of study. Each class is a discussion of a case scenario; 20-30 pages about a real company. The class discusses the situation. The professor guides the discussion and draws the class to the required conclusion. This is not a lecture style teaching system. Class attendance is mandatory for every class.
- Assessment: Verbal contribution in each course is weighted as high as 50% of the final grade. Exchange students have a significantly different and extremely valuable set of life experiences and should be prepared to actively contribute in every class. Students must prepare the case(s) before each class.
- Students must take a full course load at Ivey.
- Exchange students are not permitted to take 4505 GMM, 4624 MAC, or C&S electives.
- There is no guarantee on course availability. Students should exercise flexibility with alternative courses.
- Ivey courses (Filter by Business Administration and 4000 level)
- Important dates
- Ivey International Handbook (PDF)
- Student life
- Western Accommodation
- Incoming exchange information
- Western - Otago fact sheet
- Western Law - Otago Fact Sheet
- Disability services
- Information on student visas and insurance for students going on exchange
- 2019 S2 BCom MART HM (PDF)
- 2018 S2 BCom ACCT FINC AF (PDF)
- 2018 S2 BCom MART TL (PDF)
- 2017 S2 BCom MANT CW (PDF)
You may also want to read Western Exchange Experiences and Western Law Exchange Experiences.
For further information about Otago Global Student Exchange, please contact an Exchange Adviser.