KeyServer has been selected as the University of Otago's software asset management tool. KeyServer provides reporting on the software installed on University of Otago-owned computers to ensure that software licences are compliant and up-to-date for all departments.
It is mandatory that KeyServer is installed on all University-owned computers unless exempted by ITS. KeyServer has been designed to be administered at the departmental level so that department IT support staff can report on the computers they manage and allow reporting for University-wide auditing when needed.
The KeyServer software is available for the following operating systems:
The software is non-intrusive and does not affect the performance of your computer.
The licensing costs of KeyServer are funded by ITS.
KeyServer is now being rolled out throughout the University of Otago. The initial focus will be on desktop computers in daily use by staff and students. ITS Procurement & Licensing will liaise with departmental IT support staff about installing and using KeyServer.
Please contact the ITS Procurement & Licensing Manager if you have any questions about KeyServer or the University-wide release.
What does KeyServer do?
The KeyServer software asset management tool reports the following information about University of Otago computers:
- Software that has been installed on computers, laptops and virtual sessions.
- Current software versions present and any software updates.
- Specifications of computer operating systems installed (including 'hot fixes').
- Some information on the computer system configuration such as CPU, installed memory, hard disk size, make, model and serial number.
KeyServer does not have access to other information on your computer such as your documents or web browsing history. It is used for keeping track of software to enable the University to meet its licensing obligations and compliance.
Some computers may be exempt from installing KeyServer. All exemptions need to be approved by the Director of ITS.
Please contact the ITS Procurement & Licensing Manager to request an exemption or if you have any questions about KeyServer exemptions.
More information about KeyServer
- Technical information about upgrading KeyServer
- KeyServer Upgrade video tutorial
- KeyServer's User Interface Elements video tutorial
- KeyServer Configuration Training video overview
- Understanding and Customising KeyServer Reports video overview
Please contact the ITS Procurement & Licensing Manager if you have any questions about the implementation of KeyServer.
Please email KeyServer if you need support with the KeyServer software.