Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Programme qualifications and papers

Which Japanese language paper should I enrol in?

The appropriate entry point for Japanese language papers depends on your current level of Japanese. Each enrolment is ultimately at the discretion of the Japanese Programme, but the following broad guidelines apply.

Students who have never studied Japanese or whose experience of Japanese is minimal and dates from a number of years ago, or who have only completed one year at high school, should enrol for JAPA131. This paper is designed for complete beginners.

Students who have studied Japanese for two or three years at high school in the relatively recent past, or have completed JAPA131, should enrol for JAPA132.

For students who have completed four to five years at high school, or who have NCEA Level 2 or 3 in Japanese, or an equivalent qualification, JAPA231 might be the appropriate paper to enrol for. This paper reviews and consolidates the major grammar points from NCEA Levels 2 and 3.

eVision doesn't understand that students may be eligible for a paper such as JAPA132 or JAPA231 on the basis of their prior learning and current level of Japanese - eVision will only see a student who does not have the prerequisite (JAPA131 and JAPA132 respectively) and will require that you seek "Special permission" to enrol in that paper. Give as much context as you can at this stage of the enrolment process in the fields provided (ie NCEA level, and year attained), and email us the same context at  Email us if you have any further queries or need assistance with your enrolment.

To see the programme requirements for a BA in Japanese, BA (Hons) in Japanese and DipLang in Japanese – click here


*Not offered in 2021

100 Level Papers

200 Level Papers

300 Level Papers

400 Level Papers

^ Top of Page