Which Japanese language paper should I enrol in?
The appropriate entry point for Japanese language papers depends on your current level of Japanese. Each enrolment is ultimately at the discretion of the Japanese Programme, but the following broad guidelines apply.
Students who have never studied Japanese or whose experience of Japanese is minimal and dates from a number of years ago, or who have only completed one year at high school, should enrol for JAPA131. This paper is designed for complete beginners.
Students who have studied Japanese for two or three years at high school in the relatively recent past, or have completed JAPA131, should enrol for JAPA132.
For students who have completed four to five years at high school, or who have NCEA Level 2 or 3 in Japanese, or an equivalent qualification, JAPA231 might be the appropriate paper to enrol for. This paper reviews and consolidates the major grammar points from NCEA Levels 2 and 3.
eVision doesn't understand that students may be eligible for a paper such as JAPA132 or JAPA231 on the basis of their prior learning and current level of Japanese - eVision will only see a student who does not have the prerequisite (JAPA131 and JAPA132 respectively) and will require that you seek "Special permission" to enrol in that paper. Give as much context as you can at this stage of the enrolment process in the fields provided (ie NCEA level, and year attained), and email us the same context at firstname.lastname@example.org. Email us if you have any further queries or need assistance with your enrolment.
To see the programme requirements for a BA in Japanese, BA (Hons) in Japanese and DipLang in Japanese – click here
*Not offered in 2020
100 Level Papers
200 Level Papers
- JAPA 231 Intermediate Japanese
- JAPA 233 Business and Professional Japanese
- JAPA 242 Understanding Japanese Culture*
- JAPA 243 Issues in Japanese Culture Today
- JAPA 244 Modern Japanese Fiction
- ASIA 201 Asian Popular Cultures*
300 Level Papers
- JAPA 331 Advanced Japanese 1
- JAPA 332 Advanced Japanese 2
- JAPA 334 Advanced Japanese 3
- JAPA 342 Understanding Japanese Culture*
- JAPA 343 Issues in Japanese Culture Today
- JAPA 344 Modern Japanese Fiction
- JAPA 351 The Structure of the Japanese Language
- ASIA 301 Topics in Asian Studies
400 Level Papers
- JAPA 441 Advanced Topics in Japanese
- JAPA 451 Studies in Japanese (In-country Study)
- JAPA 452 Studies in Japanese (In-country Study)
- JAPA 490 Dissertation