Archives & Manuscripts
- Tiaki: Unpublished collections of New Zealand and Pacific material in the Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington.
- Archives New Zealand Te Rua Mahara o te Kāwanatanga: the repository for government records. Search Archway.
- Community Archive: National Register of Archives & Manuscripts: search archival collections held in museums, local government bodies, libraries, historical societies, community repositories, and in-house business, educational, religious and sporting archives in New Zealand.
- Wellington City Archives: the collection includes Union Steam Ship Records from 1875-1990s (these complement the records held by the Hocken Collections, 1873 – 1964).
- Marsden Online Archive: view the digitised letters and journals of Reverend Samuel Marsden (1765-1838) and other early missionaries to New Zealand.
- Hector's Map of the Otago Province: view a high resolution scan of James Hector's geological map of the region, surveyed in 1862-64.
- Pacific Manuscripts Bureau: search the Pacific Manuscripts Bureau catalogue.
- OUR Heritage: Access digital images from the University of Otago's Hocken Library, Medical Library and Special Collections. Digital images are being added on a regular basis.
- Digital NZ: access to 50,000+ images, sounds and objects from around New Zealand.
- National Library Image Search: the online database of heritage images from the Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington.
- Collections Online: over 30,000 free, downloadable images from Te Papa's collections.
Genealogy / Whakapapa
- Caversham Project: the original Caversham database includes everyone living within the boundaries of Caversham Borough, Dunedin, New Zealand, and was constructed to examine patterns of social and geographical mobility, residential differentiation, and their interrelationships.
- Cenotaph: search for information on New Zealand servicemen.
- Department of Internal Affairs. Births, Deaths and Marriages: An index to historical New Zealand records.
- Family Search: a genealogical database.
- Kā Huru Manu: The Ngāi Tahu Cultural Mapping Project, is dedicated to mapping the traditional place names and associated stories within the Ngāi Tahu rohe (tribal area).
- Maori Land Court | Te Kooti Whenua Maori : the New Zealand court that hears matters relating to Maori land. Search Maori Land Online
- Maori Land Court Minute Books Index: you can search the index here before accessing Hocken's microfilm copies of the Minute Books.
- Māori Maps: Find your way to the tribal marae of Aotearoa New Zealand – through maps, information and photographs.
- Otago Goldfields Database: search for information on claims in the Otago goldfields
- Otago-Nominal-Index to 1876: searches electoral rolls and street directories for Otago and Southland. Names from the Otago Police Gazette are currently being added.
- Papers Past: selected 19th century New Zealand newspapers and periodicals, letters, diaries and parliamentary papers.
- Parliamentary Papers: contains digitised reports from selected volumes of the Appendix to the Journals of the House of Representatives and the Votes and Proceedings of the House of Representatives.
- Te Ara: includes biographies of over 3,000 New Zealanders who 'made their mark' on New Zealand.
- Te Puna Web Directory: the National Library of New Zealand Te Puna Matauranga o Aotearoa's listing of New Zealand and Pacific Island web sites.
- Varcoe's New Zealand Marriages Index: designed to be used in conjunction with the microfiche Marriages Indexes published by the New Zealand Registrar-General's Office, it allows the user to match up brides with grooms.
- Waitangi Tribunal: established as a permanent commission of inquiry under the Treaty of Waitangi Act 1975. Its reports are available online.
- Archives New Zealand, Dunedin Office: this office holds records for Otago and Southland (south of the Waitaki River) including information on education, customs, courts, companies, forestry, railways, works, land settlement and many other activities. Genealogical resources include probates, immigration records, and military service records.
- Dunedin City Council Archives: include the records of a large number of local authorities ranging from the early Town Boards and District Roads Boards to the Borough and County Councils, and the City Council.
- Dunedin City Council Cemeteries Database: includes records for Andersons Bay, Port Chalmers, Portobello, Macandrew Bay, Broad Bay, Northern, Southern, Green Island, Green Park, Otokia, East Taieri, West Taieri, Allanton, Middlemarch and Waikouaiti cemeteries.
- Dunedin Public Art Gallery: art museum showcasing local, national and international art. Site features collection, exhibitions, events, education and shopping and venue information.
- McNab New Zealand Room, Dunedin Public Libraries: as well as holding the usual general genealogical resources, the New Zealand Room holds an indexed collection of Dunedin newspapers including the Otago Witness from 1851 and the Otago Daily Times from 1861.
- Otago Daily Times Headline Index: an index of headlines from the Otago Daily Times from 1946 to 1995.
- Southern Regional News Index: a selective index of articles from local newspapers and other sources.
- Toitū Otago Settlers Museum: holds an extensive collection of archives, manuscripts, photographs, newspapers, directories, cemetery records (headstone transcriptions), church register transcripts and indexes, shipping records, diaries, locality and biography files and books.
- Presbyterian Research Centre (Archives): includes a searchable Register of Presbyterian Marriages 1848 to 1920 (Otago/Southland Presbytery).