A paper in creative music that develops skills in the student’s areas of interest.
This paper in creative music allows students from both the Western art music stream and the contemporary music stream to study together and focus on developing the individual's technique and 'voice'. There is greater freedom to pursue creative projects of the students' own design. There are also significant modules on creating film music, song arrangements for orchestra, and exploration of contemporary approaches to composition - for example, Minimalism.
|Paper title||Composition Projects|
|Teaching period||Full Year (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$2,184.30|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$9,384.00|
- MUSI 231 (no longer offered) or MUSI 234 or MUSI 235 (no longer offered)
- Limited to
- MusB, BPA
- More information link
- Teaching staff
- Teaching Arrangements
- One 1-hour lecture and one 1-hour tutorial per week. Four extra tutorials for the film music project.
- Samuel Adler. The Study of Orchestration. Norton & Co, 2002. Book and CDs. (CDs are available at the AV desk on floor 2 of the library)
- Kurt Stone. Music Notation in the Twentieth Century. A Practical Guidebook. Norton & Co, 1980
- Course outline
Please contact the School of Performing Arts office (email@example.com) for a copy of the most recent paper profile.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Critical thinking, Information literacy,
Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete the paper will develop
- The ability to produce original musical ideas
- The ability to generate new ideas from existing material
- The ability to structure a piece of music coherently
- The ability to write in a practical way for instruments and voices
- The ability to compose for film using appropriate technology
- The ability to produce a recorded version of your composition
- The ability to notate accurately your ideas
- The ability to meet deadlines
- The ability to work with performers and produce instrumental and vocal parts