- Academic background
- Health Sciences, Sciences
- Host campus
- Master's, PhD
- Dr Andrew Bahn
My group is interested in how uric acid controls major intracellular metabolic signalling pathways (mTOR, AMPK) in order to understand the onset of diabetes mellitus, hypertension and cancer. Uric acid transporters and especially GLUT9 are emerging as major players for 'cellular uric acid homeostasis' in many tissues controlling cellular redox and energy homeostasis and ultimately cell fate and survival.
Students who are interested in the topic and keen to meet a challenge to perform state of the art research are encouraged to apply.
Similar research opportunities
- Central regulation of pregnancy
- Central regulation of the diabetic heart
- Control of stress circuit excitability
- Dysregulated ghrelin signalling in pancreatic β-cells under hyperuricemic conditions – the cause for the onset of type 2 diabetes mellitus?
- ENaC in the vasculature and its role in hypertension