|Value||Normally $4,500 towards living costs|
|Closing Date||23 March|
Established in 2020 in memory of Sophia Michelle McMillan Crestani, a 2nd year Bachelor of Science student studying mathematics and statistics. Sophia passed away in tragic circumstances at a student party in North Dunedin on 6 October 2019.
Sophia, the youngest of 3 children and a twin, grew up in Wellington. She demonstrated her innate ability in mathematics at an early age, winning the St Benedict’s School Mathematics cup and an academic scholarship to Queen Margaret College. Sophia was a caring and enthusiastic spirit with a creative flair, having her Year 13 wearable art work “The Fallen” displayed at the National War Memorial, Hall of Memories as part of the centennial commemoration of the Passchendaele campaign. Sophia was a people person with an engaging and sparkly personality who could light up any space. She was also a sporty young woman, competing in a number of sports including netball, dragon boating and gymnastics. Through her love of working with children she gave back to the community as a gymnastics coach and recreation co-ordinator. Sophia would want other young women to have the educational and career opportunities that she will not.
Applicants must be:
- New Zealand citizen or permanent resident
- a female second-year student studying Mathematics
The following factors shall be considered in selecting the Scholarship:
- a demonstrated focus by the applicant on being community minded and exhibiting community involvement
- financial need due to personal/family circumstances
Completed applications must be submitted by the closing date to Student Administration (Scholarships) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please refer carefully to the Scholarship Regulations and Application for all eligibility and application requirements.
- The Sophia Michelle McMillan Crestani Memorial Scholarship Regulations (PDF)
- The Sophia Michelle McMillan Crestani Memorial Scholarship Application Form (PDF)