Pain at Otago aims to reduce the impact of pain on an individual, family, and societal level.
We intend to engage with our communities to help determine the important research questions, and to widely disseminate our findings for the benefit of the wider community.
Our research will address the mechanisms behind the management of chronic pain.
We aim to:
- Understand the molecular aspects of pain perception
- Find novel pharmacological interventions that work on the central nervous system
- Identify early risk factors for chronic pain
- Investigate ways to reduce pain-related disability
- Enhance education about pain for health professionals and students
- Enhance awareness about pain issues and access to relevant services in New Zealand