Justices of the Peace
What is a Justice of Peace (JP)?
A JP is a member of the community appointed by the Governor-General to meet the needs of their community. They are “people of good standing in the community (which is not to be identified with material prosperity), who are respected as persons of good sense, character and integrity". Their work is an unpaid service not connected with their employment.
What to do if you need a JP
Check to see if a JP can help you
Make contact with a JP
- JPs on campus
- On most Wednesday mornings from 9am to 1pm, there is a JP service at the University Information Centre; no need to make an appointment.
- Otago JP Community roster page
- From 19-26 February 2015 there is an extended JP service on campus
- JPs in the community are listed in the yellow pages
- Saturday morning JP service - a group of JPs from the community offer a Saturday morning service. 10am to midday at
283 Moray Place
Tel 64 3 471 6177
- Friday morning JP service - there is a JP service at the Dunedin Public Library in Moray Place, each Friday from 10am- midday. More information