Justices of the Peace
What is a Justice of Peace (JP)?
A JP is a member of the community appointed by the Governor-General to meet the needs of their community. They are “people of good standing in the community (which is not to be identified with material prosperity), who are respected as persons of good sense, character and integrity". Their work is an unpaid service not connected with their employment.
What to do if you need a JP
Check to see if a JP can help you
Make contact with a JP on Campus
- JPs on campus
- On most Wednesday mornings from 9am to 1pm, there is a JP service in the Information Services Building, Room GW5a, Disability Information & Support notetaker Office, near the Student Learning Centre. There is no need to make an appointment.
- Otago JP Community roster page
- JPs in the community are listed in the yellow pages
- Saturday morning JP service - a group of JPs from the community offer a Saturday morning service. 10am to midday at
283 Moray Place
Tel 64 3 471 6177
- Friday morning JP service - 10am-midday at the Dunedin Public Library in Moray Place. More information