If you have been asked to provide witnessed documentation so that your application can be finalised, it is important that documents are correctly witnessed.
Note: Any documents supplied must be in English or be accompanied by an English translation.
What you need to do
For all documents giving evidence of name, date of birth, name changes, citizenship or residency status:
- Take the original document and a photocopy to a person of suitable authority (see list below)
- Bring the original copy to the University Information Centre, in the Information Services Building, where a photocopy of the document will be made and witnessed for you.
You should normally have your documents witnessed as true copies of originals by an authorised person i.e. a person listed in the Oaths and Declarations Act 1957 such as:
- Justice of the Peace
- Barrister or Solicitor of the High Court
The following may also witness documents:
- Notary Public
- Court Registrar or Deputy Registrar
- University of Otago Administrative or Liaison Staff
- Member of Parliament
- Land Transport New Zealand, Public Trust, or local authority employee (who must be authorised under the Oaths and Declarations Act 1957)
Students within New Zealand may wish to check the Yellow Pages for a list of Justices of the Peace in their area. Students from remote areas who do not have access to anyone in the approved categories should contact the University Information Centre for advice.
What the witness needs to do
When witnessing the photocopy this person must indicate the authority with which the copy is certified as true (e.g. Certified true copy, W B Smith, Justice of the Peace).
The person's name should be printed under his or her signature if not easily legible.
Other officials or professionals should not normally be asked to witness documents. Check the Yellow Pages for Justices of the Peace in your area.
If you do not have access to anyone in the approved categories, you should contact the University Information Centre for advice
Sending in your documents
Send all correctly witnessed documents to:
The Manager, Admissions and Enrolment
University of Otago
PO Box 56
Note: If you are posting documents to us, we urge you to send witnessed copies only. No responsibility can be taken for original documents that are lost or damaged.