An integrated treatment of mathematics (algebra, matrices, calculus, optimisation) and modelling techniques, with an emphasis on applications.
This paper is a prerequisite for some higher-level finance and economic papers. It assumes a minimal background in mathematics and aims to give the students an introduction to each topic.
|Paper title||Business Mathematics|
|Points||18 points 18 points|
|Teaching period(s)||First Semester, Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$863.25|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,276.80|
- FINQ 102, MATH 102, MATH 160, QUAN 102
- Schedule C
- Teaching staff
To be advised
- Teaching Arrangements
- Lectures and quizzes
- Essential Mathematics for Economics and Business, Teresa Bradley and Paul and Patton, 3rd or 2nd edition (highly recommended).
- Course outline
- View the most recent Course Outline
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Communication, Critical thinking, Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Upon successful completion of this paper, you should be able to:
- Understand and use equations, formulae and mathematical expressions and relationships in a variety of contexts
- Apply the knowledge in mathematics (algebra, matrices, calculus, optimisation) in solving business problems
- Demonstrate mathematical skills required in mathematically intensive areas in commerce, such as economics and finance
- Demonstrate critical thinking, modelling and problem-solving skills in a variety of contexts
Further information about teaching staff, tutorial times, assessment details, reading lists and learning objectives is available in the PDF below.
Download Course Outline for FINC 102 (PDF 416K)