What we do
The Academic Committees and Services Office ( ACS ) manages a range of academic and research approval processes, connected in particular to academic proposals and to human and animal ethics applications, and is available to provide advice to University staff regarding these processes.
A key task of ACS is to provide secretarial support and co-ordination for various high-level academic and research committees of the University. Along with various other Committees of Senate and of the University Council, the committees we support include:
- Divisional Academic Boards for:
- Boards of:
- Human Ethics Committee
- Animal Ethics Committee
- Research Committee
As part of this work, we manage the approval process for academic proposals, from the Divisional level, right through to the external accreditation of new programmes at Universities New Zealand's Committee on University Academic Programmes ( CUAP ). We also receive and process all applications for ethical approval, advising academic staff and senior students in relation to research ethics.
A Specialist from ACS is embedded within each of the four Divisions of the University. Each Specialist has a close working relationship with the Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Associate Dean (Academic) and Associate Dean (Postgraduate) of their respective Division. A fifth Specialist primarily supports central academic committees and works closely with the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic). Central ACS staff also work closely with the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Enterprise) and the Dean of the Graduate Research School in relation to committees supporting research and research ethics.
Manager, Academic Committees and Services Office
- Board of Undergraduate Studies (BUGS)
- Board of Graduate Studies (BoGS)
- Otago's involvement with the Committee on University Academic Programmes (CUAP)
- Graduate Research Committee
- Graduate Research Student Liaison Committee
- Summer School and Continuing Education Board
- Distance Learning Advisory Committee
- Scholarships and Prizes Committee
- Committee for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching ( CALT ).
Client Services Administrator (Student and Academic Services)
Janine provides administrative support to ACS on behalf of Client Services.
Rebecca is embedded in the Division of Commerce, and supports:
- Commerce Divisional Board and Proposals Committee
- Policy Management Group
Jo Farron de Diaz
- Human Ethics Committees:
- Human Ethics Committee ( UOHEC )
- Human Ethics Committee (Health) ( UOHEC (H))
Carol is embedded in the Division of Humanities, and supports:
She also centrally supports:
- Animal Ethics Committees (Dunedin and Christchurch campuses)
Dr Tosh Stewart
Tosh is embedded in the Division of Health Sciences, and supports:
- Health Sciences Divisional Academic Board
- Otago Medical School Postgraduate Board
General enquiries about the work of ACS may be directed to: