Accessibility Skip to Global Navigation Skip to Local Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Search Skip to Site Map Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of room will I have?

Carrington Study Centre at nightRooms vary in size depending on whether they are in the older houses or residential blocks and whether an alcohol-free option is selected . A lot of time is put into rooming placement decisions . Part of the fun and journey is settling into the your ‘Flouse’ ( floor / house) and meeting your fellow residents.

How much will it cost?

Our fees are set annually by the University and are the same in all University- owned Colleges.

What should I bring with me?

All bedrooms are fully set up with everything you need to get started. Wardrobe, dressing table, mirror, halogen study lamp, desk, study chair, single inner sprung mattress and base, mattress protector, feather pillow, pillow protector, feather duvet, duvet cover, sheets and pillowcase, extra blankets, drapes, net curtains (if you need them), heating, carpeted floors, and multi- power box.

We do not provide towels, bath mats or coat hangers.

When do I send my application?

It is advisable to get your application to the accommodation office before the end of September each year.

What should I do when I first get to Carrington?

Cherry blosson from the Study Centre windowYou are asked to indicate you approximate time of arrival. Just follow the signs to the welcome desk in Linton, our admin block. There will be lots of friendly staff about to show you to your room. We work hard to ensure your first days go smoothly.

 How far is Carrington from the university?

Carrington is about five minutes from the University campus on foot and only minutes from the main street, George Street.

What will there be for me to eat?

We are well known for our excellent cuisine. Independent surveys consistently rate Carrington cuisine as ‘outstanding’ in terms of choice, freshness , nutritional value and variety. Special dietary issues are well-supported too. Let us know of any extra requirements in your arrival information or talk to our Catering Manager.

Where are the sports grounds and tracks?

Two major athletic fields are minutes from home. Moana indoor Olympic Pool is just a few minutes walk away.

Will I be allowed to have visitors?

Yes! We want you to feel right at home, but please check with us first about the procedure regarding meal and overnight guests. There are some times of the year where overnight guests are not permitted to stay.

How will I find out about lectures?

Carrington Management and Student Staff are here to assist you through those first few settling in days. There’s lots of useful information posted about the College too. Once you have done Course Approval, you will get access to the University network with all the information you need to get started. Remember all residents are in the same situation, so often support each other in the ‘finding out’ process.

Will I be safe and secure?

While personal safety is everyone’s individual concern, the College takes security very seriously. All buildings are locked at nights, Student Staff have rostered night duties to oversee the site and there is excellent camera surveillance in the grounds.

Can residents swap rooms.

In a word, no. It would require very special circumstances for this to be considered.

Is there temporary off-street parking?

Yes we have 4 "visitor parks" at the bottom of our main drive.

What happens when residents are sick?

We have robust support systems in place to care for unwell people. It is important that residents
communicate with a friend / HT or other staff if they are poorly.

Who can help me with financial questions around accommodation fees?

Contact the Financial Administrator on (03) 479 5533

Why do we need to supply a setting of crockery and cutlery?

We suggest this to use for late dinners. Requested late dinners are delivered, chilled, to individual floors/houses fridges in named plastic containers. Residents can heat and eat the meals when convenient, using their own crockery and cutlery.

What happens if I miss a lab or assignment or is struggling with a work issue?

The Deputy Warden is able to provide advice for all academic matters. House Tutors can also help.

My son/ daughter has severe asthma. Does the College supply allergy-free duvets?

Yes we do have some allergy-free bedding available.

Is there extra bedding available such as blankets / pillows?

Yes. Just ask the Domestic Services Manager / cleaning staff or the floor House Tutor.

Are there car parks and bike storage areas available for resident use?

We have limited car- parking , including some garages for hire and several bike storage areas . Contact our Domestic Services Manager for details on 479 5559 or 021 279 5533.

What does Alcohol-Free rooming mean?

This option is where there is to be no alcohol use or presence in these living spaces. Residents are able to drink elsewhere e.g. at bars in town but must return to their rooms in a quiet manner. Residents living in these designated areas sign a compliance agreement.

Is there an expected time to be home in the College at night.

No, residents have the freedom to come and go. We do ask anyone planning to be away overnight to sign our “out of residence” book at reception in case we need to contact them in an emergency.