An introduction to psychological issues, processes, and treatment models relevant to cancer settings.
This paper is designed primarily for clinicians working in the areas of oncology, haematology and palliative care, although health professionals working in the general hospital setting would also find it very relevant.
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2019|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$2,801.50|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$9,869.50|
- Limited to
- MHealSc, PGCertHealSc, PGDipHealSc
- Must be a graduate or possess an appropriate health professional qualification requiring at least three years' full-time tertiary study and have experience of, or be currently working in, the relevant field of health care.
- Judith Stone, firstname.lastname@example.org
- More information link
- View further information about PSME 428
- Teaching staff
- Convenor: Associate Professor Lois Surgenor
- Teaching Arrangements
Four 2-day block courses held in Christchurch. Attendance at all block courses is compulsory.
For the purposes of class discussions held during the teaching semester, students also will be expected to attend the 'Clinical Grand Rounds' meetings each Tuesday 12:30-1:30 pm.
- No textbooks are required. However a list of readings will be provided to the class.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will
- Have a knowledge and understanding of the key theories of, and processes involved in, the psychological adaptation to cancer
- Have a working knowledge of the types of psychological/psychiatric disturbances presenting in people with cancer and the psychological issues for those working in psycho-oncology
- Have a comprehensive introduction to the common psychological interventions and therapies relevant to haematology/oncology settings
- Be knowledgeable about key themes in psycho-oncology research
Associate Professor Lois Surgenor
Department of Psychological Medicine
University of Otago, Christchurch
PO Box 4345, Christchurch, New Zealand
Tel 64 3 372 6733