Communications staff produce:
- Research media releases for staff following assessment of news values
- Announcements about funding, major awards, senior staff appointments or major events
- Coordinated responses as a "first port of call" for media inquiries about University operational matters
- Information for journalists seeking Otago academics to provide informed commentary on issues
- Media training and support for academic staff, as well as advising staff when confronted by potentially difficult public relations issues
- Posts on University-approved social media platforms
- A variety of print and online publications designed for staff, alumni, student family and whānau audiences.
The Communications Office is part of the more recently established External Engagement Division, reporting to the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Professor Helen Nicholson.
Marketing Services, responsible for paid advertising in the media, and design, is a separate group of staff on the second floor of Scott Shand House. They have their own team of publications and design staff.