The Committee for the Advancement of Learning and Teaching is a committee of Senate. Its purpose is to support and promote excellence in learning and teaching across the University.
Terms of Reference
- To develop new strategies directed at contemporary topics in teaching and learning, primarily through the establishment of thematic subcommittees and working groups.
- To initiate, create and advance policies and guidelines on teaching, learning, assessment and evaluation.
- To recognise, support and promote excellence and innovative developments in teaching and learning, and the effective use of information and communication technologies.
- To work with University bodies and external agencies to disseminate information on innovative practice in teaching, learning and assessment, including the Internationalisation Committee.
- To administer, evaluate and award the annual Otago Teaching Excellence Awards and to select nominees for the national awards.
- To foster and facilitate research and scholarship into university teaching and learning, including disbursing, administering and reporting on University funds.
- To encourage applications for externally funded grants for the development and support of excellence in teaching and learning.
- To serve as an Advisory Group to the Higher Education Development Centre.
- To discuss and, where appropriate, act upon regular reports from the Higher Education Development Centre and Information Technology Services.
|Composition of the Board||Member||Expiry date (if applicable)|
|Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic) (Convener)||Professor V A Squire||Ex officio|
|Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research & Enterprise) or nominee||Professor R J Blaikie||Ex officio|
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor (or nominee) of the Division of Commerce||Dr K Robertson||31 December 2020|
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor (or nominee) of the Division of Health Sciences||Associate Professor R Braund||31 December 2019|
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor (or nominee) of the Division of Humanities||Dr Z Weber||31 December 2020|
|Pro-Vice-Chancellor (or nominee) of the Division of Sciences||Dr C Ott||31 December 2018|
|Director, International||Mr J Cushen||Ex officio|
|Director, Higher Education Development Centre (HEDC)||Associate Professor C Golding||Ex officio|
|Director, Distance Learning||Dr S Stein||Ex officio|
|Director, Academic Services||Mr J S Price||Ex officio|
|Director, Summer School and Continuing Education||Dr E Webster||Ex officio|
|OUSA representative||Mr J Heath||31 December 2018|
|Director, Quality Advancement||Ms M A Morgan||Ex officio|
|Information Technology Services Division representative||Ms A Senior||31 December 2019|
|Library representative||Mr H Amos||31 December 2020|
|Co-opted||Dr R Simmons||31 December 2018|
|Dr B Daniel||31 December 2018|
|Associate Professor R Zajac||31 December 2019|
Miss L Billyard (firstname.lastname@example.org ext 8883)
Miss J L Brunson
The Board has the power to co-opt as required.
2017 Meeting Dates and Minutes
- 26 January (78K)
- 30 March - cancelled
- 25 May
- 27 July
- 28 September
- 30 November
2018 Meeting Dates and Minutes
- 25 January
- 29 March - Cancelled
- 21 June
- 26 July
- 27 September
- 29 November
CALT Awards for Enhancing Teaching and Learning with Technology
The primary purposes of the CALT Awards for Enhancing Teaching and Learning with Technology are to recognise the pedagogically-sound use of technology at Otago and sustain existing efforts in advancing teaching and learning with technology.
Winners will be awarded: $5000 (1st); $3500 (2nd); or $1500 (3rd) to be used towards personal academic development.
Entries for 2017 can be submitted from 1 November 2016 until 28 February 2017.
University Teaching Development Grants
The primary purpose of University Teaching Development Grants is to foster active development of teaching in order to enhance the quality of teaching and learning in the University.
Grants are to be used for project work such as planning, implementing and evaluating a curriculum intervention of some kind (e.g. new course design, further development of an existing course or programme, incorporating the use of technology in teaching etc.).
Applications for 2018 closed on Monday 2 October 2017.