Terms of Reference
To advise the University on all matters relating to hazardous substances and radiation safety in the Institution, including the development of policies and procedures relating to hazardous substances purchase, hazardous substance safety in laboratories, transportation of hazardous substance and radioactive substances on and off site, storage and disposal of hazardous waste.
To facilitate and manage the development of emergency plans in relation to hazardous substances for compliance with the HSNO Act.
To develop policy to ensure the University of Otago and licensees comply with NRL policies and guidelines for the use of radioactive substances and radiation sources.
To develop policy to ensure the University of Otago complies with the HSNO Act regulations and guidelines in relation to the handling, use, transportation and disposal of hazardous substances, including the Code of Practice (Exempt Laboratories).
To report to the Health & Safety and Ethics Compliance Committee.
- Representative from Science Division
- Representative from Property Services
- Representative from Health Sciences
- University Laboratory Manager (Christchurch)
- University Laboratory Manager (Wellington)
- University Radiation Safety Officer
- Staff Member on the Dunedin Emergency Services Coordinating Committee
- Head, Health and Safety Compliance
- University Laboratory Manager
- (Convenor appointed by Vice-Chancellor)