Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
An advanced course in writing, with an emphasis upon report writing and the practical skills needed in the workplace.
Writing is an increasingly important part of the daily work of people in professional positions across a wide range of disciplines, industries and occupations. ENGL 228 will introduce you to the various communication styles and genres of writing in a professional environment, such as proposals, reports and presentations, to prepare you for the types of communication and writing tasks you can expect to encounter in the workforce.
|Paper title||Writing for the Professions|
|Teaching period||Semester 2 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$913.95|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$4,073.40|
- 36 100-level points from Arts and Music or Science Schedule C
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music, Science
- More information link
- Teaching staff
- Convenor: Dr Michael Cop
- Paper Structure
- There are FIVE components to this paper:
- Teaching Arrangements
- One 1-hour lecture and one 2-hour tutorial each week, for 13 weeks.
- Marsen, Sky. Professional Writing, third edition (Palgrave).
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Critical thinking, Cultural understanding,
Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this paper will know
- How to use grammar and sentence structure effectively
- How to write a memo
- How to write a letter
- How to write a proposal
- How to present a proposal orally
- How to write a report