2021 information for papers will be published in early September.
An overview of many aspects of, and approaches to, hauora Māori; including the impact and role of historical and political determinants in relation to contemporary hauora Māori outcomes.
|Paper title||Foundations of Hauora Māori|
|Points||15 points 15 points 15 points|
|Teaching period(s)||1st Non standard period (24 February 2020 - 9 April 2020), 1st Non standard period (24 February 2020 - 9 April 2020), 1st Non standard period (24 February 2020 - 9 April 2020)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,428.75|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$5,181.50|
- PUBH 709
- Limited to
- MA, MHealSc, MPH, DPH, PGDipArts, PGDipHealSc, PGCertPH
- This paper runs for the first half of first semester.
- Students who have completed an undergraduate degree in any discipline or recognised equivalent
- More information link
- View more information on postgraduate studies in Public Health
- Teaching staff
- Paper Structure
- Course overview and introduction; historical and political influences on Māori society and health - c1200-1840
- Historical and political influences on Māori society and health - c1840-1975
- Historical and political influences on Māori society and health - c1975-present
- Determinants of hauora Māori
- Racism and hauora Māori
- Current approaches to addressing determinants of hauora Māori
- Assignment 1: 50%
- Assignment 2: 50%
- Teaching Arrangements
- Wellington: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Christchurch: 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
- Dunedin: See timetable
- Wellington and Dunedin: Thursday 19 March, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Christchurch: Thursday 19 March, 9:30 am - 4:00 pm
- Text to be confirmed. Please contact the Department.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Scholarship, Communication, Critical
thinking, Cultural understanding, Information literacy, Research, Self-motivation,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Demonstrate an understanding of the historical and political factors that impact on contemporary hauora Māori outcomes
- Describe different determinants of health and how they contribute to hauora Māori
- Critically analyse the impact of racism and privilege on hauora Māori
- Demonstrate an understanding of different approaches that aim to contribute positively to hauora Māori outcomes