The scientific peer review process within the department is separate from the ethical approval process.
Keys points for the new process are outlined below:
- Scientific peer review process is to be completed before submission for ethical approval. Please factor this into your timeline.
- When submitting your application for peer review:
- Please use the request cover letter (Word)
- Email this, and the required documentation, to email@example.com
- To share the review workload: reviews will be allocated on an expertise basis to lecturers / research fellows and above, primarily within the Department.
- Example peer review template (Word)
- Turnaround times:
- Proposals deemed to already have recognised external peer review (e.g. HRC) or review by a recognised internal body (including RAC) require a letter indicating the proposal has met the requirement for satisfactory peer review. This letter is from the Preventive and Social Medicine Chair of Peer Review or delegate, and will be issued as soon as possible and within 3 working days of receipt of request.
- Other proposals will be required to have peer review completed within the Department. This process will take up to 10 working days for the reviews to be completed, as it relies on the availability and capacity of our colleagues to complete reviews.
- You will need to also allow time for rebuttal of reviewers’ comments.
- You may begin the ethical approval process once you have confirmation of satisfactory peer review.