The Department of Women's and Children's Health is one of seven academic departments that make up the Otago Medical School, Dunedin Campus. It was formed in 1999 by combining the previous Department of Paediatrics and Child Health with the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
We are committed to excellence in teaching and research in an environment that fosters personal development and respect, and stimulates advances in knowledge and the provision of outstanding health care of women, youth, children and their families / whānau.
The Department is committed to:
- Collaborating with the Southern District Health Board in maintaining and improving clinical standards
- Excellence and integrity in research
- Good working relationships, with co-operation and respect amongst staff
- Keeping abreast of developments in knowledge and technology
- Loyalty, honesty, accountability and openness in decision making
- Meeting Treaty of Waitangi obligations
- Personal and professional development
- Passion and enthusiasm in the care of children and women
- Quality and efficiency in all activities
- Respecting difference (e.g. ethnicity, gender, ability, disability)
- Student-centred teaching to promote critical thinking and independent lifelong learning
Professor Peter McIntyre is the current Head of Department (HoD), appointed in November 2022. Peter is based in the Obstetrics and Gynaecology section, in room 234.