Red X iconGreen tick iconYellow tick icon

You need to upload documentation as you go through your online application. Gather and scan your supporting documents before you start your application.

Required documents

Academic transcripts

You must provide scanned copies of your previous official academic transcripts (awards gained, marks, grades) with your application.

If you are applying for undergraduate study you are required to provide scanned copies of your official high school or foundation transcripts with your application.

For postgraduate applicants you are required to provide scanned copies of your official tertiary education transcripts. High school results are not necessary.

Translation of documents

If your official documents are not issued in English, please supply an official English translation as well as the original language documents.

An official translation means that your translation must be completed by a translation company and be stamped by the company or person authorised to translate together with signature, name and date.

Education agents with which the University of Otago has a formal agreement may supply an official translation only if the agency has an in-house translation service. The translation must be stamped by the person authorised to translate together with signature, name and date.

Educational Credential Evaluators report (ECE)

You may be required to submit an ECE report. If this applies to you, your application will not be assessed until your ECE report has been received by us.

Credentials Evaluation information for international students

Proof of your identity

When you apply to study at the University of Otago you will be asked to provide evidence of your full name, date of birth, and nationality. This is usually achieved by providing a certified copy of the personal details page of your passport or a birth certificate (in English). A scanned document may be uploaded in the first instance, but a 'hard copy' original or certified version of that document will be required in order to complete your enrolment.

What is a certified/notarised copy?

Your passport or birth certificate must be certified by a person of suitable authority and according to the guidelines below. Documents that have not been certified correctly will not be accepted.

The following people are authorised to certify documents:

  • Your agent (if you applied for admission through an authorised agency)
  • A Lawyer
  • A Notary Public
  • A Justice of the Peace
  • A Commissioner of Oaths
  • A Court Registrar or Deputy Registrar
  • A Member of Staff at a New Zealand Embassy
  • A Member of the Exchange/Study Abroad Office at your home University

The authorised person must note on the copied document:

  • "Certified true copy" (in English)
  • Their authority (in English)
  • Their name
  • Their signature
  • Their official stamp
  • Certification must be done in English for it to be accepted

If you need to provide additional information, we will let you know when we are assessing your application.

Applying for a research-only master's or PhD programme?

As a potential research student, you need to be well-prepared, and show initiative and aptitude.

Before applying, you need to:

  1. Visit the website of the academic department appropriate to your subject.
  2. Identify the research interests of the relevant department(s) and individual staff members.
    The University of Otago expertise database is a good place to start.
  3. Develop a possible research topic that fits in with these interests.
  4. Approach a potential supervisor to see if vacancies exist for research supervision.

When applying, you need to include the following documents with your application:

  • The documents detailed above (academic transcripts, translations, ECE, and proof of identity).
  • A detailed research proposal that shows you are familiar with current literature surrounding your topic.
  • An up-to date curriculum vitae.
  • The name of the academic staff member who has agreed to be your supervisor.
  • An approximate start date.

Back to top