Last updated February, 2021
Founded in 1883, The University of Texas at Austin has become a major research university with a broad mission of undergraduate and graduate education, research, and public service. Ranked among the biggest and best research universities in the country, UT Austin is home to more than 51,000 students and 3,000 teaching faculty. Cultural entertainment, sports events, and extracurricular organizations enrich the experience of students beyond the classroom.
Austin, the capital of the state of Texas, has an internationally renowned music, film and art scene, a thriving economy, a glittering lake running through the center of the city, big blue skies, and the natural beauty of the surrounding Hill Country.
- Undergraduate level exchange only.
- Academic Year: August - May (Fall Term: August - December; Winter Term: January - May).
- A full-time course load at UT is 12 credit hours of undergraduate courses (usually 4 courses).
- Credit hours: the first digit of the course number indicates the credit value of the course in semester hours. Courses numbered 201 through 299 have a value of two semester hours; 301 through 399, a value of three semester hours. Generally, the last two digits indicate the rank of the course; if they are 01 through 19, the course is of lower-division rank; if 20 through 79, of upper-division rank; and if 80 through 99, of graduate rank.
- Each 3-credit course at UT will involve approximately 90 hours of work outside of the classroom. 4 courses is 360 hours.
- You may be able to take up to two courses at McCombs School of Business (Provided you have a lot as to courses you can take on exchange).
- Restricted courses include Computer Science, Music, Art and Art History and Theatre and Dance.
- On-campus accommodation at UT is limited, and priority is given to first-year students. Exchange students primarily live in off-campus dormitories and coops adjacent to UT in a neighbourhood called West Campus. Some exchange students also live in private apartments throughout the city.
- Students attending UT are required to purchase a mandatory Student Health Insurance Plan ((USD$1300 per semester in 2023) + adequate travel insurance to meet Otago's requirements.
- Austin: Vibrant Learning Environment (Video)
- Understanding UT's course numbering system
- Restricted courses
- Course Schedules (You need to create an account)
- Colleges and Schools
- Course Outlines (may also be available on the relevant Department’s website).
- Academic Calendars
- UT Student Health Insurance Plan
- Life at UT
- UT Disability Services
- Pre-arrival checklist
- Student Visa and insurance information
- 2020 S1 BA MFCO AF
- 2019 S2 LLB BCom FINC CE
- 2019 FY BSc HUNT KA
- 2019 S1 BA HIST AA
- 2018 S2 BSc GENE PSYC FH
- 2018 S2 BA Hons HIST RT
- 2018 S2 BSc COMP JM
- 2018 S1 BA INDE BA
- 2017 FY BPhEd BSc PSYC PS
You may also want to read McCombs School of Business Experiences.
For further information about Otago Global Student Exchange, please contact an Exchange Adviser.