Red X iconGreen tick iconYellow tick icon

Which Spanish language paper should I enrol in?

The appropriate entry point for Spanish language papers depends on your current level of Spanish. Each enrolment is ultimately at the discretion of the Spanish Programme, but the following broad guidelines apply.

Students who have never studied Spanish or whose experience of Spanish is minimal and dates from many years ago, or who have only completed one year at high school, should enrol for SPAN131. This paper is designed for complete beginners.

Students who have studied Spanish for two or three years at high school in the relatively recent past, or have completed SPAN131, should enrol for SPAN132.

For students who have completed four to five years at high school, or who have NCEA Level 2 or 3 in Spanish, or an equivalent qualification, SPAN231 or SPAN232 might be the appropriate paper to enrol for. This paper reviews and consolidates the major grammar points from NCEA Levels 2 and 3.

eVision does not understand that students may be eligible for a paper such as SPAN132 or SPAN232 on the basis of their prior learning and current level of Spanish - eVision will only see a student who does not have the prerequisite (SPAN131 and SPAN132 respectively) and will require that you seek "Special permission" to enrol in that paper. At this stage of the eVision enrolment, you should give as much context as possible in the field provided (ie NCEA level, and year attained), as well as providing the same context to Email us if you have any further queries or need assistance with your enrolment.

Programme requirements for a BA in Spanish, BA (Hons) in Spanish and DipLang in Spanish


100 Level Papers

200 Level Papers

300 Level Papers

400 Level Papers (Honours)

Back to top