The Grand Rounds is a monthly lecture series presenting cutting edge health research by leaders in their fields
Formerly known as Medical Forum, these seminars are designed for health professionals, academic and clinical researchers, and students across the Division of Health Sciences.
The Grand Rounds are hosted by the Otago Medical School’s Dunedin Campus, as a joint initiative with the Otago Postgraduate Medical Society and proudly in association with Te Whatu Ora.
Grand Rounds calendar and venues
The 2023 Grand Rounds will be held in the Dunedin Hospital Barnett lecture theatre every Tuesday at 1pm, from 28 February to 24 October 2023.
Video recordings of past Grand Rounds
Video and audio recordings for previous seminars will be linked here as they become available.
Information for presenters
The Grand Rounds feature academic and clinical staff from Dunedin School of Medicine, and the Otago School of Medical Sciences as well as guests from related organisations such as the Southern District Health Board and WellSouth.
Changing allocated presentation date(s)
If a speaker wishes to change their allocated presentation, please notify your contact person in the Office of the Dean at least 15 days prior to the scheduled presentation.
Funding for visiting lecturers
Funding for visiting speakers within New Zealand is available, by application, to support travel and accommodation. Please contact your contact person at the Dean's Department for further information.
Planning your presentation:
- The topic should be of general interest to most disciplines, as attendance is multi-disciplinary
- Presentations that are interactive, controversial, topical, and / or that provide updates on new research are well-received
- Presentations should be 40 minutes long, plus around 10 minutes for discussion
Speakers are asked to submit:
- Full name and position
- Title of presentation
- Suggested name of person to introduce speaker (usually the Head of Department or visiting lecturer host)
- Short presentation abstract (100–250 words)
- Photos, images, and / or logos relevant to the presenter(s) and their research
- A web link to a preferred bio for each speaker
On the day:
- The Dunedin School of Medicine's ICT Support Group staff will be on-hand to provide technical support
- Presenters should arrive at the lecture theatre by 12:45pm to ensure that all IT requirements are met. As sound for the podcast is recorded through the lecture theatre's microphone, please use it as you normally would and not do so for the size of venue.
Permission to record the presentation
Grand Rounds presentations will be recorded using Otago Capture and shared on the University's YouTube channel. If you do not wish for the audio and slides of your talk to be shared, please opt out.
Further information about the Grand Rounds
For all enquiries, please contact the Otago Medical School Dean’s Office.