Red X iconGreen tick iconYellow tick icon

Make Music papers the main focus of your study

The Bachelor of Music (MusB) degree is a good option if you want Music papers to be the main focus.

Papers in Music Performance (voice and instruments)

There are three main options for first-year students interested in studying performance.

See new options in Music Performance in 2025

  • Vocal or Instrumental Performance (MUSI 143): Students receive individual and group instruction over two semesters.
  • Music Ensemble (MUSI 144): Students learn as part of a music ensemble (options available in Jazz, or Vocal Ensemble, or Chamber Music).
  • Performance Studies (MUSI 140): A performance option that is suited for international students, preparatory study, or a second instrument.

Find out more about learning instruments and vocals at Otago.

Study Music papers as well as papers from other subject areas

A Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree with a major (or minor) in Music is a good option if you want to study papers from other subject areas as well.

If you want to study Music alongside Commerce or Science subjects, you can take Music as a major (or minor) as part of the Bachelor of Arts and Commerce (BACom) or Bachelor of Arts and Science (BASc) degrees, respectively.

Degrees with a major in Music

Study Music as part of a double degree

You can study Music as part of a double degree – for example a Bachelor of Music (MusB) and a Bachelor of Arts (BA).

Study Music as a minor subject

You can study Music as a minor subject for a range of degrees, in a number of specialisations:

Study Music as stand-alone interest papers

You can add some Music papers to most degrees.

Music papers

The full list of music papers

Contact us to discuss your study options

You are strongly encouraged to speak with one of our Music course advisers before you enrol. Please email us for a list of advisers.


Music scholarships

Back to top