Considering sending us a proposal or manuscript?
Please browse our website to make sure yours is the kind of book we publish. For example, we publish a range of non-fiction and poetry, but we do not currently publish new fiction.
Whether you are submitting a proposal or a finished manuscript we need the following:
• A contents page, an overall synopsis AND a brief chapter-by-chapter synopsis.
• Two sample chapters OR the full manuscript text if available; OR other writing samples if no chapters have yet been finished.
• A proposal document/ covering letter telling us about the manuscript: what it aims to do; how it fits in with the existing literature on the topic; who the audience is; whether there will be illustrations/photos; your proposed timeline if writing is still under way.
• An up-to-date CV.
Editorial Board process: Acquisition decisions are made by an Editorial Board, which meets every two months. The board sends promising manuscripts out to readers/peer reviewers. We will acknowledge receipt of your material immediately, but the assessment process can take time.
To ensure your material makes the next board meeting, please submit by one of the following dates in 2021: 1 April, 27 May, 29 July, 1 October or 25 November.
We publish only four or five poetry manuscripts a year. You are welcome to submit a manuscript in the knowledge that it is a highly competitive process.
There are four submission dates a year for poetry: 1 January, 1 April, 1 July, 1 October
If you submit outside these dates, your manuscript will be considered on the next due date.
Please send us the following:
• A full manuscript. (Note that we publish full-length books only, minimum 72pp).
• An up-to-date CV.
Points to note about submissions
• We prefer that you not submit simultaneously to multiple publishers. If you are intending to do so, however, please note this fact in your covering letter.
• Your newly completed thesis is unlikely to be publishable as a book without substantial revision. For some tips on how to approach this, you might like to check out the following links:
Please make your submission by email, including documents as attachments, to: email@example.com
If you wish to submit hard-copy material to accompany your proposal or manuscript, please send to Manuscripts, Otago University Press, PO Box 56, Dunedin, New Zealand.
If you have any queries that are not answered above, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Click to download our House Style Guide (PDF) or Manuscript Preparation Guide (PDF)