Purpose of the policy
The Policy for Research Consultation with Māori provides the framework for an appropriate and mandated consultation process with Māori for research. It ensures an effective and efficient mechanism for managing the consultation process while acknowledging the needs and aspirations of Ngāi Tahu for Māori development and benefit in Ngāi Tahu Vision 2025.
This process is available to University of Otago researchers only.
- Appropriate consultation is required before you begin work on research proposals
- Consultation is required for all areas of research
- Consultation may take time - so start well in advance of preparing your proposal
The consultation process asks researchers to submit a Research Consultation with Māori Form with information on your research proposition which is then assessed for consultation requirements. A Completed Sample Consultation Form is available to use as a guide.
Ngāi Tahu Research Consultation Committee submission dates
Final dates for research submissions to be received prior to meetings are:
- 30 January (meeting 11 February)
- 28 February (meeting 10 March)
- 26 March (meeting 07 April)
- 30 April (meeting 12 May)
- 28 May (meeting 09 June)
- 25 June (meeting 14 July)
- 30 July (meeting 11 August)
- 27 August (meeting 08 September)
- 01 October (meeting 13 October)
- 29 October (meeting 10 November)
- 26 November (meeting 08 December)
Submission of Results
The submission of results to the Committee is an important step in the consultation process. The Committee is interested in seeing the results in whatever format is easy for the research team to distribute, whether it be as a summary of findings, published articles or a copy of generated reports. Currently the best way to accomplish this is to email documents to Claire Porima or to mail them to Claire Porima, Office of Māori Development, Centre for Innovation, University of Otago, Dunedin.
- Hauora: Māori Standards of Health
- Guidelines for conducting research with Māori
- HRC About Māori Health Research
- Nga Pou Rangahau Hauora Kia Whakapiki Ake Te Hauora Māori 2010–2015 (PDF)
(HRC Strategic plan for Māori health research 2010–2015)
- Māori/Indigenous Health Institute (MIHI)
- Māori Health Publications
- Ngāi Tahu website
- Research Involving Māori Guidelines for Disposal or Retention of Samples and Specimens (PDF)