Preparation of a thesis proposal/preliminary thesis research. Normally taken by students in the papers year for a Master’s degree by papers and thesis.
This paper is designed to give an introduction to some aspects of research in a specific field of chemistry and builds on the laboratory and research skills acquired in undergraduate chemistry courses. It involves carrying out an original experimental research project supervised by a member of staff. The paper assesses research performance in the first year of the Master of Science programme.
|Paper title||Master's Thesis Preparation|
|Teaching period||Full Year|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,010.70|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$10,710.93|
- Limited to
- Dr Nigel T. Lucas
Tel: 64 3 479 5377
Location: Science II, 3N11
- More information link
- View more information about CHEM 495
- Teaching staff
- Convenor: Dr Nigel Lucas
- Paper Structure
- The structure depends on the individual project, but the paper concludes with the submission of a research report in early November.
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking, Information literacy, Research,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Students who successfully complete the paper will develop
- Research practices in an area of chemistry
- The effective written communication of research results