Provides the written and oral language skills and cultural concepts needed in German business and professional contexts.
GERM 333 prepares you for study and work in Germany. You will gain an understanding of contemporary German society and acquire the skills needed to apply for jobs and to work in a German environment. In addition, you will learn how to prepare a scholarship application for a German-language intensive German course, the DAAD Winterkurs. At the completion of GERM 333 students will have reached the B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and will be able to sit the internationally recognised Goethe-Zertifikat B2 at Otago.
|Paper title||German for Professional Purposes|
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2016|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$835.20|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$3,435.00|
- GERM 231 or GERM 114.
If you have previous knowledge of the language you can still enrol in this paper via Special Permission by proceeding with your application process to the Review and Confirm page or email email@example.com for assistance.
- GERM 233, GERM 204
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- GERM 333 is the follow-on paper for students who have passed GERM 331 or who have an appropriate level of German.
- More information link
- View details of the online placement test
- Teaching staff
- Convenor: Dr Antonie Alm
- Paper Structure
- Classes are conducted in German and are based on three text book units, complemented by online materials. Students will follow and report on German current affairs and work specifically on the topics of job and scholarship application (CV writing, cover letter, job interview) and workplace situations (communication skills, social skills).
- Teaching Arrangements
- The class meets three times a week for one hour and has a social networking component.
- Aspekte 2 Textbook and Workbook Klett-Langenscheidt Verlag
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Lifelong learning, Information literacy, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Upon successful completion of GERM 333, students will have advanced to level B2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and will be able to use German in both spoken and written form to function in a professional environment and to discuss topics of current interest. They will be able to understand most TV news and current affair programmes, read articles concerned with contemporary problems and write clear, detailed texts on a wide range of subjects. Students will be able to sit the Goethe-Zertifikat B2.
Not offered in 2016
- Teaching method
- This paper is taught On Campus
- Learning management system