An extension of German written and oral communication skills at an advanced level.
The most advanced of our language papers, GERM 335 is based on current topics of German society. In 2015, we will explore the German law through the news, criminal cases, audio plays and a detective novel. We will also delve into the world of the arts and discuss the book Ruhm of best selling-author Daniel Kehlmann. At the completion of GERM 335 you will have reached the C1-level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and will be able to sit the internationally recognised C1 Goethe-Zertifikat at Otago.
|Paper title||Advanced German 2|
|Teaching period||Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for 2015 have not yet been set|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- GERM 334. You may be able to take this paper without the prerequisite if you can demonstrate the required ability. Use the special permission process to apply to do this; please proceed through the application process to reach the window for Special Permission. This request together with any documentation you provide or request for the transfer of credit(s) will then be submitted for approval.
- GERM 332, GERM 301
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- Teaching staff
- Convenor: Dr Antonie Alm
- More information link
further information about GERM 335
View details of the online placement test
- Paper Structure
- Classes are conducted in German and are based on two textbook units, complemented by two novels and online materials.
- Aspekte 3 Textbook and Workbook Klett-Langenscheidt VerlagSchenkel, A. M. (2006). Tannöd. Random HouseKehlmann, D. (2009) Ruhm. Rowohlt Verlag
- Teaching Arrangements
- The class meets three times a week for one hour and has a social networking component.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, lifelong learning, communication, information literacy, self-motivation, teamwork. View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Upon successful completion of GERM335, students will have advanced to Level C1+ of
the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. As proficient users of German
they will be able to:
- Follow extended speech
- Understand television programmes and films
- Read factual and literary texts, appreciating distinctions of style
- Express themself fluently
- Formulate ideas and opinions with precision and relate their contribution skilfully to those of other speakers
- Express themselves in clear, well structured text, expressing points of view at some length
- GERM 335 is the follow-on paper for students who have passed GERM 334 or who have an advanced level of German.
- Teaching method
- This paper is taught On Campus
- Learning management system
|Weeks: 28-34,36-41||Tues, Wed, Thurs : 15:00-15:50|