An extension of German written and oral communication skills at an advanced level.
The most advanced of our language papers, GERM 335 is based on current topics of German society. In 2017, we will explore the German law through the news, criminal cases, audio plays and a detective novel. We will also delve into the world of the arts and discuss the book Ruhm of best-selling author Daniel Kehlmann. At the completion of GERM 335 you will have reached the C1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and will be able to sit the internationally recognised C1 Goethe-Zertifikat at Otago.
|Paper title||Advanced German 2|
|Teaching period||Second Semester|
|Domestic Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for 2017 have not yet been set|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- GERM 334.
If you have previous knowledge of the language you can still enrol in this paper via Special Permission by proceeding with your application process to the Review and Submit page or email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
- GERM 332, GERM 301
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music
- GERM 335 is the follow-on paper for students who have passed GERM 334 or who have an advanced level of German.
- More information link
- View details of the online placement test: https:"www.goethe.de/de/spr/kup/tsd.html
- Teaching staff
- Convenor: Dr Antonie Alm
- Paper Structure
- Classes are conducted in German and are based on two text book units, complemented by two novels and online materials.
- Teaching Arrangements
- The class meets three times a week for one hour and has a social networking component.
- Aspekte 3 Textbook and Workbook Klett-Langenscheidt Verlag.
Schenkel, A. M. (2006). TannÃ¶d. Random House.
Kehlmann, D. (2009) Ruhm. Rowohlt Verlag
- Course outline
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication, Information literacy, Self-motivation,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- Upon successful completion of GERM335, students will have advanced to level C1+ of
the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. As proficient users of German
they will be able to:
- Follow extended speech
- Understand television programmes and films
- Read factual and literary texts, appreciating distinctions of style
- Express themselves fluently
- Formulate ideas and opinions with precision and relate their contribution skillfully to those of other speakers
- Express themselves in clear, well-structured text, expressing points of view at some length