Apply for the Postgraduate Diploma in Higher Education (PGDipHighE) through the Dunedin campus in 2017Apply Now
The Postgraduate Diploma in Higher Education (PGDipHighE) builds on the Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education (PGCertHighE). It is a part-time programme consisting of four 30 point papers that can be completed in a minimum of two years and a maximum of four.
The Postgraduate Diploma in Higher Education (PGDipHighE) is also available through Distance Learning.
Higher Education Development Centre
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit the Higher Education Development Centre
- Visit the HEDC Postgraduate Courses page on the HEDC website
Regulations for the Postgraduate Diploma in Higher Education (PGDipHighE)
Admission to the Programme
- Admission to the programme shall be subject to the approval of the Convener of the Interdivisional Board of Studies in Higher Education.
- Every applicant must
- be a graduate and, normally, be engaged in tertiary teaching; or
- if enrolling for a programme for an endorsed diploma, be a graduate and, normally, be engaged in clinical teaching at tertiary level; or
- have alternative qualifications or experience acceptable to the Board of Studies.
Structure of the Programme
The programme of study shall consist of
HEDU 501 Critical Reflection on Higher Education (30 points);
HEDU 502 Learning Theory and Practice in Higher Education (30 points);
HEDU 503 Research in Higher Education (30 points);
HEDU 510 Special Topic (30 points); or a 30 point paper at 400-level approved by the Programme Director.
Where the postgraduate diploma is endorsed in Clinical Education, students will undertake study in the specialist area of clinical teaching within each paper.
A candidate who has completed the requirements for the Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education shall be exempted from the papers HEDU 501 and HEDU 502.
(i) HEDU 501, HEDU 502, HEDU 503, HEDU 510 are also available through Distance Learning.
(ii) Students should normally enrol initially for the Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education before proceeding to the diploma.
Duration of the Programme
The programme is "self paced" and students may negotiate the duration of study for each paper within the following:
- A candidate shall normally follow a part-time programme of study of not less than two academic years.
- A candidate shall satisfy the requirements for the diploma within four years of admission to the programme.
The postgraduate diploma may be endorsed in Clinical Education.
The Convener of the Interdivisional Board of Studies in Higher Education may in exceptional circumstances approve a course of study which does not comply with these regulations.
Note: The due date for applications for first enrolment in the programme is 1 December of the year preceding that in which the programme is to be commenced.