The Department of English and Linguistics has a strong research record and has performed very well in PBRF (Performance Based Research Fund) rounds. Please see the staff webpages for more on individual research areas.
The Department has recently won a number of grants from the Royal Society of New Zealand’s Marsden Fund. These grants have funded research on Iterative Poetics and Global Culture, The Medieval Presence in the Modernist Aesthetic, A New Paradigm of Medieval Literary Anonymity, and Global Romantics: How the Porter Family Changed Nineteenth-Century Art and Literature.
Many Department members are involved in interdisciplinary research networks, including
- Asian Studies
- Asian Migrations Research Theme
- Centre for Irish and Scottish Studies
- Centre for the Book
- Comparative and Cross-Cultural Studies
- Cultures, Histories, and Identities in Film, Media, and Literature
- Medieval and Early Modern Studies
- Postcolonial Studies Research Network
- Russian Studies
Others are involved in international collaborations, such as