Submitting your application via your e:Vision student portal lets us know what you intend to study at the University and gives us information to enable you to complete the Enrolment process.
Due date for applications
The due date for the submission of applications depends on the type of programme you are applying for.
General Bachelors' Degrees
- 10 December for Summer School and/or for study beginning in the first semester
- 15 June for study beginning in the second semester
Returning students should apply by:
- 10 December for Summer School
- 15 January for study beginning in the first semester
- 15 June for beginning in the second semester only
Specialised Bachelors' Degrees
For students enrolling in specialised bachelors' degrees for the first time applications should be submitted for:
- Bachelor of Physical Education (BPhEd) by 15 August.
- Teacher Education Programmes by 26 August.
- Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS), Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB ChB), Bachelor of Medical Laboratory Science (BMLSc), Bachelor of Physiotherapy (BPhty) and Bachelor of Pharmacy (BPharm), Bachelor of Radiation Therapy (BRT), Bachelor of Dental Technology (BDentTech) and Bachelor of Oral Health (BOH) by 15 September.
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) and Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) by 1 October.
- by 1 November.
For returning students continuing study in the above programmes:
- 10 December for study commencing in Summer School
- 15 January for study commencing in the first semester
- 15 June for study commencing in the second semester only
The due date for applications for most Honours programmes is 10 December.
View the Honours degrees page for more details.
Postgraduate Diplomas and Certificates
The due date for applications for most Postgraduate Diplomas and Certificates is 10 December.
The due date for applications for programmes for most Masters’ degrees is 10 December for study beginning at the start of the following academic year, or 1 June for study beginning in second semester.
View the Masters' degree page for more details.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
There are no specific due dates for applications for PhD study.
View the PhD Information page for more details.
How to apply
Applications have closed for enrolment in the second semester 2013 for study in most programmes (except for thesis-only qualifications and some other postgraduate programmes). Applications are now being accepted from new applicants for study commencing in 2014.
Applications for 2014
New students to Otago
Students who have previously studied at Otago
Prior to submitting your application for study you should ensure you have checked the admission requirements for University study and the specific requirements for the programme you are seeking to enrol in.
For assistance with selecting your course please look at:
- Information for prospective students
- University subjects and papers information
- Relevant Academic Departments
Selecting your papers
From your e:Vision student portal you select the papers you intend to study. If you are a first year international student and/or wish to enrol in certain courses (e.g. Health Sciences Professional programmes) you will need to wait until you have been accepted into the programme before you can select your papers online.
Checking your status
You can check the status of your application at any time by logging in to your e:Vision student portal. Each programme you have applied for will have a programme status alongside the name of the programme.
Cancelling your application
If after you have applied you decide not to come to Otago, or you wish to withdraw your application for a programme, you must let us know via your e:Vision student portal.
If you have been offered a place in a particular programme, decline the offer to cancel your application for that programme. If you have not yet been offered a place, go to the Programmes section, and click Remove a programme to withdraw your application.
If you remove all your programmes, your e:Vision student portal will still remain active in case you wish to re-apply for study in the future.