|Value||Varies (determined by the success, or otherwise, of a recipient securing other University of Otago Entrance Scholarships)|
|Acceptance Closing date||As soon as possible after your school's prize giving.|
The University of Otago is providing the opportunity for at least one student from every secondary school in the country to study at the University of Otago. Dux Scholarships will be awarded to any student who is named Dux of their school. The scholarship can be used towards the payment of (in order) a Residential College and/or fees.
Recipients must be:
- qualified for University Entrance through NCEA Level 3 or equivalent
- be enrolled for full-time study at the University of Otago, and
- be the Dux* of a New Zealand secondary school in the year immediately preceding enrolment at the University of Otago
(* Dux is defined as the top scholar in the candidate's secondary school. In circumstances where the school has co-Duxes, the University of Otago will offer up to two scholarships.)
No application is necessary since the status of Dux automatically qualifies the student for a University of Otago Dux Scholarship. Information packs are sent to all New Zealand secondary schools every October.
Tenure and Value
This scholarship may be held concurrently with another University of Otago Entrance Scholarship where the regulations specifically permit concurrent tenure, or the Offer Letter specifically permits concurrent tenure. Any variation of concurrent tenure will be at the discretion and with the written permission of the University of Otago.
The extent to which any or all of the full value of this scholarship is payable will be determined by the success or otherwise in a recipient securing other University of Otago Entrance Scholarships (including the Vice-Chancellor's Scholarship). When a Dux recipient has received a University of Otago Entrance Scholarship, the following applies:
- Awarded at Full Value ($6,000) when a Dux has secured no other University of Otago Entrance Scholarship.
- Awarded at Two-Thirds Value ($4,000) when a Dux has secured another University of Otago Entrance Scholarship with a total value of $3000 or less.
- Awarded at Half-Value ($3,000) when a Dux has secured another University of Otago Entrance Scholarship with a total value greater than $3,000 and less than $10,000.
- Awarded at One-Third Value ($2,000) when a Dux has secured another University of Otago Entrance Scholarship with a total value of $10,000 to less than $20,000.
- Awarded Without Payment when a Dux has secured another University of Otago Entrance Scholarship with a total value of $20,000 or more.
- For those recipients of a 'primary' Entrance Scholarship, such as Leaders of Tomorrow, Māori and Pacific Peoples’, Alumni, Donna-Rose Mackay, Performance, but also specifically permitted to hold the Vice-Chancellor's Scholarship concurrently, the value of the primary scholarship will be used to determine the value at which their Dux Scholarship may be held.
To find out more about Entrance Scholarships, please contact us:
Telephone: 0800 80 80 98 (callers within New Zealand only) or +64 3 479 7000 (callers outside New Zealand)
Find us on Facebook