|Date Procedure Took Effect||16 April 2002|
|Last approved revision||22 June 2023|
|Sponsor||Chief Financial Officer|
|Responsible officer||Financial Controller|
To set out the University's procedures for the reimbursement of staff and non-staff.
This policy applies to all staff of the University and individuals seeking financial reimbursement from the University. This policy does not apply to suppliers of goods and services to the University.
- Finance One
- The University's corporate financial system
1. Reimbursement process
- All claims for reimbursements must be made using Finance One.
- The University's Client Services Administration can be contacted for assistance in making a reimbursement claim.
- All expenditure must be supported by itemised electronic receipts, which must be attached to the claim form or scanned into Finance One.
- All reimbursement payments to University of Otago staff will be direct credited into the bank account held in the University's payroll system.
- Reimbursement payments to non-staff will be made into a bank account. A bank deposit slip must be attached to the Reimbursement Claim Form.
- Reimbursement of work related travel costs should be calculated using the most cost effective means for the University.
- Reimbursements must be approved by the appropriate budget holder and on a one-up basis.
- Reimbursements should not be made using petty cash.
- The use of Airpoints or other reward schemes to purchase flights or other goods and services cannot be reimbursed by the University.
2. Mileage rates
- Mileage rates reimbursements are only available to eligible staff where the University has a contractual obligation to pay mileage rates as a condition of their employment agreement.
- Click here for the University mileage reimbursement rates for employees and other University representatives who use their private vehicle on University business.
- The record keeping of the kilometres reimbursed to a staff member is to be done within the staff member's department.
- The reimbursement rate will not apply to those staff who have other rates specified in their employment contracts.
- The above rates are the maximum amount that can be paid tax free. Any reimbursement above this rate will be taxable (subject to PAYE ) to the employee. The mechanism for doing this will be to pay the above rate as a cash reimbursement and the additional amount as a taxable allowance via the payroll system.
3. Conference, Research and Study Leave
- Expenses paid or reimbursed by the University for Conference Leave or Research and Study Leave must be work related and contain no element of private expenditure to avoid a taxation liability.
- Client Services Administration and Human Resources should be contacted in regards to, costs related to family members accompanying the employee on Conference Leave or Research and Study Leave.
Related policies, procedures and forms
- Travel and Travel Related Costs Policy
- Travel Planning Procedures
- Sensitive Expenditure Policy
- Sensitive Expenditure Procedure and Guidelines
- Use of personal car reimbursement calculator (XLSX)
Contact for further information
If you have any queries regarding the content of this policy, procedure or guideline or need further clarification, contact the