|Approved by||University Council, 25 November 2014|
|Date Regulation Took Effect||26 November 2014|
|Last approved revision||15 November 2017|
|Sponsor||Registrar and Secretary to the Council|
1 Title, Approval and Commencement and Revocation
1.1. These Regulations are the University Campuses and Premises Regulations 2014.
1.2.These Regulations were approved by the University Council at its meeting of 25 November 2014 pursuant to clause 6.3 of the Administration Statute 2011.
1.3.These Regulations apply, and the former Use of Premises Regulations are revoked, with effect from 26 November 2014.
2.1.Campus means all land and buildings owned or occupied or for the time being controlled by the University of Otago anywhere in New Zealand.
2.2.Premises means those parts of the Campus which are part of a building or an enclosed place.
3. Smoke-Free Campuses
3.1. Smoking is not permitted anywhere on the Campus.
4.1. No person shall enter or remain in
- any part of the Campus; or
- any of the University's Affiliated Colleges, to which he or she knows, or ought reasonably to know, that he or she is not entitled to have access at the relevant time.
5. Authority of Heads of Departments
5.1. Heads of Departments and Heads of Service Divisions:
- are authorised to control the use of those Premises which are used by their respective department or Division; and
- may make, and may delegate the authority to other staff to make, reasonable rules and to issue reasonable orders or directions in relation to the use of such Premises or University property within them.
5.2. Breach of rules, orders or directions made under clause 5.1(b) shall be deemed to be a breach of these Regulations.
6. Authority of University Staff
6.1. Every member of the University staff:
- is authorised to control the use of any Premises in which he or she is conducting a lecture, laboratory, or seminar, or for which he or she is otherwise responsible; and
- may give any reasonable order or direction as to the use of such Premises or University property within them.
6.2. Breach of any order or direction made under clause 6.1(b) shall be deemed to be a breach of these Regulations.
7. Requirements of Affiliated Residential Colleges and Otago Polytechnic
7.1. Any student who is not a resident of a particular Affiliated College is, while within the precincts of any such College, subject to its rules and the authority of its staff. A breach of any such rule or lawful staff direction (including a direction to leave the College's property) shall be deemed to be a breach of these Regulations and may be dealt with under these Regulations if the rule is one which it is reasonable to enforce against a non-resident of the College concerned.
7.2. Any student of the University while within the precincts of the Otago Polytechnic is subject to applicable rules of the Polytechnic and the authority of its staff. A breach of any such rule or lawful staff direction shall be deemed to be a breach of these Regulations and may be dealt with under these Regulations if the rule is one which it is reasonable to enforce against a student of the University.
8.1. No animal (with the exception of those used by departments for the purposes of teaching or research or certified disability assist dogs) may be taken into or on or allowed to remain in any Premises:
- except with the permission of the Director of Property Services in consultation with the relevant Head of Department or Service Division; or
- in the case of Premises which are part of a Residential College, with the permission of the Director of Accommodation Services.
8.2. Subject to clause 8.1, permission is not required to bring an animal on to the Campus but the Director of Property Services, may issue a direction precluding:
- a specified person bringing any animal onto the Campus; or
- a specified animal being brought or allowed onto the Campus by any person.
8.3. Any person permitted to bring an animal onto the Campus must keep such animal under proper control at all times. In the case of dogs, such control must be maintained by means of a lead, leash or chain designed for the purpose and held firmly at all times by the person bringing it onto the Campus. A dog which is tied up, chained or otherwise restrained but which is not supervised is deemed not to be under proper control.
8.4. Any animal present on the Campus in breach of the Regulations may be removed without notice and may be recovered only upon payment of the costs involved in its removal.
9. Bicycles and Motorcycles
9.1. No bicycle or motorcycle may be taken into or on or allowed to remain in or on any Premises, except where they are taken by an approved route to a place within those Premises approved for the parking of the relevant vehicle, approval in each case having been given by the Director of Property Services.
10. Notices & Graffiti
10.1. The posting of notices and writing slogans and messages on any part of the Campus, is prohibited other than in those places and in the manner specifically established by the Director of Property Services.
11.1. All litter must be disposed of in rubbish or recycling bins. No item of litter may be deposited in any other location on or adjacent to the Campus.
12.1. Any student found to be in breach of these Regulations may be subject to disciplinary action and penalties under the Student Conduct Statute 2021. A breach of the provisions of these Regulations by a member of the staff of the University may be the subject of action under the staff member's employment agreement into which these Regulations are incorporated