Requesting items not available through the Canterbury Medical or other University of Otago Libraries
Who can use Interloans
The Interloans service is available to:
- Current University of Otago, Christchurch (UOC) staff and students in support of their research, study and teaching
- CDHB staff, who are current members of the Canterbury Medical Library, in support of their professional health information needs
CDHB staff new to the Interloan service are advised to contact library staff directly by email or ring +64 3 364 0500 or ext 80500 to obtain a separate login to this service.
Placing Interloan requests
1. To access the Interloan service, search for the book, chapter or journal article you want through the appropriate Canterbury Medical Library or CDHB Library catalogue (links below) to ensure we do not already hold the item you want.
- UOC staff /students - check the UOC Library Catalogue
- CDHB staff and current library members - check the CDHB Library Catalogue
CDHB and UOC staff and UOC students are advised NOT to try placing an interloan request via the Dunedin Library catalogue / webpage, as this will be unsuccessful and you will simply receive an OCLC error message.
2. If you can't find what you need scroll to the bottom on the results page and select Interloan.
3. You will be directed through to WorldCat where you can search for the item you need.
4. Click on the title of the item you need and select 'Request an Interloan'.
5. You may be prompted to log in:
University of Otago, Christchurch (UOC) staff and students: Use your assigned username and password (the same one you use for email / eVision).
CDHB staff:If you're new to Interloan, please contact Canterbury Medical Library staff to check your library username and for further details about this charged service.
Note your CDHB username and password credentials will not work in this Interloans system, which is on the University not CDHB network.
6. You will be directed through to the Canterbury Medical Library Interloan service, where the details of the item along with your details will automatically populate the request form.
- Add any Comments to the request
- For books, select the Pickup location. Distance students select the Home Delivery pickup location and we will post the book to you.
- Submit request
7. If you have another item you want to request, go back to your Library Search tab and search for the next item.
Trouble finding what you need?
You can fill in a blank Interloan request form by selecting Request an Interloan from the Resources dropdown menu near the top left of the page, under the University of Otago logo.
UOC staff / students
- All copies are free to UOC staff / students
- All loans from NZ and Australia are free to UOC staff / students
- Overseas loans (books not available in NZ or Australia) are $25. This can be charged to a UOC cost centre or paid personally. We will check with you first before sourcing an overseas item
CDHB staff and other members
Charges will vary according to where the item is sourced from, whether in New Zealand or from an overseas library or supplier. We will check costs with you before sourcing an item.
These costs include:
|$7.50 charge for items from Health Lib, but $13.50 to $50.00 for items from other suppliers
|Urgent fee (for urgent patient care)
|$10 per urgent delivery
Interloaning journal articles, book chapters and conference papers
Copies generally arrive within 2-3 working days.We will email you when the article arrives. Follow the links in the email to access the pdf. Due to copyright restrictions, the pdf will only remain in your account for 30 days so we advise you to print or save the document as soon as you can. Copies are yours to keep.
Due to copyright, only one article from an issue of a journal may be requested at one time, or two articles if they are on the same topic.
Interloaning books and theses
Loans generally arrive within 3-5 working days although may take longer if coming from overseas.
We will email you when the book arrives. The email will include the pickup location (which you would have selected when you placed the request) and the due date. We will post loans out to distance students.
Most loans are supplied for a four-week loan and can usually be renewed if you need them for longer. Some loans will be supplied as 'Reference only' and must be used in the Library.
New Zealand theses are relatively easy to source at no cost to you. Theses from overseas institutions can be more difficult to source and often have to be purchased. Interloan staff will advise you of your options.
How to renew Interloans
Sign-in to your Interloan account
- In your Account Details under Interlibrary Loan Requests find the item you want to renew
- Select Renew
- Your renewal request will go to the Library who supplied the interloan. They will approve the renewal and extend the due date, or they will decline the renewal which means you need to return it by the original due date.
Returning interloaned books
You can return your Interloan book(s) to the Canterbury Medical Library.
How will you contact me?
UOC staff / students
We will contact you via your University of Otago assigned email address. If you do not use this address, you can set up email forwarding from your student Webmail account.
We will contact you via the email address you supplied when you registered as a member with the library.
Preferred browsers for the Interloan service are Chrome, Firefox and Safari. Edge browser is also supported. IE version 11 will be supported until 17 August 2021. Earlier versions of IE are not supported.