- Prof Jane Chetwynd
- Dr Libby Plumridge
This study explored the feasibility of study among patrons of sex workers through a survey of 30 male clients of female sex workers. The questionnaire focussed on:
- Knowledge about HIV and its prevention
- History, frequency and location of contacts with sex workers
- Sexual practices and condom use with sex workers and other partners.
- Attitudes to safer sex practices.
Methodological questions addressed included:
- Possibilities of accessing this population
- Adequacy of sampling through one type of venue
- Use of same questionnaire for clients of heterosexual and transsexual workers
- Possibility of using the same interviewer for both populations
- Chetwynd SJ and Plumridge,EW. Knowledge, attitudes and activities of male clients of female sex workers: risk factors for HIV. New Zealand Medical Journal 107: 351-3, 1994.