Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
An introduction to the influence of social psychological variables on participation and performance in sport and exercise and the influence of that participation on the psychological characteristics of participants.
|Paper title||Psychology of Sport and Exercise|
|Subject||Sport, Physical Education and Exercise|
|Teaching period||Semester 2 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,092.15|
|International Tuition Fees (NZD)||$5,213.25|
- 72 points
- PHSE 205
- Schedule C
- Arts and Music, Science
Professor Ken Hodge (email@example.com)
- More information link
- Teaching staff
Course Co-ordinator and Lecturer: Professor Ken Hodge
- Paper Structure
This paper covers seven modules/topics:
- Introduction to the psychology of sport & exercise
- Understanding participants in sport & exercise
- Understanding sport & exercise environments
- Understanding exercise motivation and psychological well-being
- Understanding group and team processes
- Enhancing performance; mental skills training
- Facilitating psychological growth and development
Weinberg, R. & Gould, D. (2019). Foundations of Sport and Exercise Psychology (7th Edition). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics OR
Weinberg, R. & Gould, D. (2015). Foundations of Sport and Exercise Psychology (6th Edition). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Lifelong learning, Communication, Critical thinking, Self-motivation, Teamwork.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Understand how social psychological variables influence participation and performance in sport and exercise settings.
Understand how participation in exercise and sport influences the psychological development of the individual player/participant.
Use practical skills and knowledge about sport and exercise psychology which you can apply as an exerciser, sportsperson, exercise leader, personal trainer, coach, or teacher.