The School of Physical Education, Sport and Exercise Sciences is New Zealand’s oldest and largest programme with a long and proud history.
The School has an international reputation for producing independent, well-prepared graduates who become national and international leaders in their respective fields.
High calibre internationally recognized staff work hard to provide a vibrant learning environment for undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Students have the opportunity to work collegially and dedicated student associations offer mentoring and support as well as social events.
Proposed New Undergraduate level courses
The School of Physical Education, Sport and Exercise Sciences staff are pleased to announce our new curriculum starting in 2019 (subject to final approval). A major curriculum review such as this has not been undertaken since the 1990s.
The new curriculum reflects our world-leading QS ranking of 12th in the world, and our number 1 ranking of any department in our discipline in New Zealand.We undertook extensive consultation with stakeholder groups, students, alumni and employers to ensure we have an innovative curriculum, located in our research strengths, that meets new directions in physical education, sport and exercise sciences.
The new majors each sit within existing 3-year degree structures. There are three new majors:
- Bachelor of Applied Science majoring in Physical Education, Activity and Health - Download Infosheet
- Bachelor of Science majoring in Exercise and Sport Science - Download Infosheet
- Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts majoring in Sport Development and Management - Download Infosheet
These majors join the existing major that is hosted in the School
- Bachelor of Applied Science in Sports Technology - Download Infosheet.
These new majors and degree structures will offer students clear career pathways as well as opportunities for postgraduate study.
For the first time, students now have the opportunity to take a minor from within the School. The minors are:
- Exercise and Sport Science
- Sport Development and Management
- Physical Activity and Health
- Sports Technology
Postgraduate level courses
- Postgraduate Diplomas (PGDipPE, PGDipOE)
- Masters degrees (MPhEd, MDanceSt)
- Doctoral programme (PhD).