Due to COVID-19 restrictions, a selection of on-campus papers will be made available via distance and online learning for eligible students.
Find out which papers are available and how to apply on our COVID-19 website
Advanced research processes and methods, databases, and underlying literature in both accountancy and finance. Builds competency in developing and presenting a research proposal.
ACFI459 is a 20 point fourth-year paper for intending Honours and graduate students who carry out research. The primary objective of the course is to provide students with an understanding of the research process and of research methods, particularly in relation to, but not exclusive to, the disciplines of Accountancy and Finance.
|Paper title||Advanced Research Methods|
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2022 (On campus)|
|Domestic Tuition Fees (NZD)||$1,132.73|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- ACFI 359
- Teaching staff
Paper Coordinator: Dr. Marinela Adriana Finta
- Paper Structure
This paper builds competency in developing and presenting a research proposal.
- Teaching Arrangements
Taught via lectures.
Required: Saunders, M., Lewis, P., Thornhill, A., (2019), Research Methods for Business Students, Financial Times Press, Pearson, London (8th Edition).
- Course outline
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Research, Self-motivation.
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
Students who successfully complete this paper will:
- Appreciate the philosophy of science and develop an analytical framework for evaluating accounting and finance research
- Understand and critically appraise relevant academic and research literature in the fields of Accountancy and Finance and their sub-disciplines
- Develop data acquisition and management skills
- Discuss and evaluate statistical methods appropriate to research in Accountancy and Finance
- Develop written communication and presentation skills
- Develop, structure and present a research proposal, and learn and research independently