Disability assessment; workplace assessment; communication, consultation, and negotiation; risk assessment and risk communication; funding and management of occupational health; occupational medicine and the law; research and medical informatics in occupational medicine; setting up and running an occupational medicine programme; quality assurance in occupational medicine.
|Paper title||Managing Occupational Medicine|
|Teaching period||Not offered in 2019|
|Domestic Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for 2019 have not yet been set|
|International Tuition Fees||Tuition Fees for international students are elsewhere on this website.|
- Limited to
- MOccMed, MAvMed, MHealSc, PGDipHealSc, PGDipOccMed
- Healthcare professionals currently employed, or interested in work, in the aviation medicine industry
- More information link
- View more information on the Department of Occupational and Aviation Medicine Unit's website
- Teaching staff
- Course Director: Mark Newson-Smith
- Paper Structure
- Additional Paper for the Postgraduate
Diploma in Occupational Medicine (PGDipOccMed).
Part of the Master of Aviation Medicine (MAvMed) and Master of Health Sciences endorsed in Occupational Medicine (MHealthSc(OccMed)) programmes.
- Teaching Arrangements
- This paper is taught in even years in the first semester. It is a fully distance-taught paper with an optional week-long Professional Visits Programme held at various locations around the world. Where is it this year?
- Textbooks are not required for this paper.
- Graduate Attributes Emphasised
- Global perspective, Interdisciplinary perspective, Lifelong learning, Communication,
Critical thinking, Cultural understanding, Ethics, Environmental literacy, Information
literacy, Research, Self-motivation, Teamwork, global perspective, lifelong learning,
communication, critical thinking, cultural understanding, ethics, information literacy,
View more information about Otago's graduate attributes.
- Learning Outcomes
- The goal of this paper is to provide core competencies in how to manage occupational health services directed at a wide range of hazards and a wide range of settings. It takes a broad definition of occupational medicine to include disability assessment, medical legal work, workers compensation and environmental health.